Re: font-lock has become far too slow

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: font-lock has become far too slow
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:44:36 -0700

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> Starting very recently, font-lock (using jit-lock) has become so
> slow that Emacs can no longer keep up with my typing -- on a modern,
> 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4.  I haven't profiled things yet, so does
> anyone know what was added that might make things this slow?  I
> compiled with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer, but still am forced to turn
> off font-lock mode.

It looks like it's more than just font-lock.  With font-lock off, if I
hold down C-p to move up in the buffer, drawing new pages takes up to
a full second (subjective).  And typing past the end of a line has a
hard time keeping up with my typing.  Even typing this message is very
laggy.  I will have to do some profiling to see what it going on.
Nothing in my configuration has changed very drastically since
February, when things were working quite nicely.

John