Re: isearch-yank-char

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: isearch-yank-char
Date: 27 Apr 2004 17:49:30 -0500

I don't think a 'conservative-mode' is the direction to go.  Adding
more choices is not helpful.  Conservative-mode would be an endless
source of future decision avoidance.  For any given new feature or
binding, someone would say "Well, we can't figure out what to do, so
let's add the feature, but disable it in conservative-mode."  Is that
really what we want?

Anyone who knows enough about Emacs to know to look for and/or tweak a
hypothetical conservative-mode, knows enough to simply adjust their
isearch bindings directly.  The target audience for conservative mode
would not be helped in reality, because they'd probably never even
know the mode existed.

We should either do the new isearch bindings or not do them, instead
of growing Yet Another Choice Mechanism in Emacs.

-Karl