Re: isearch-yank-char

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: isearch-yank-char
Date: 01 May 2004 22:02:20 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
> > Interesting!  This patch goes further, and changes C-w back to
> > 'isearch-yank-word' (instead of 'isearch-yank-word-or-char').

I noticed this too -- and although I think the new C-f binding is a
great thing (and love C-b even more), I still think that often
isearch-yank-word-or-char does a better job than isearch-yank-word
in cases like the following [] is the cursor location:

        fun1((abc-def-ghi[]));
        fun2(xyz);

But I'm obviously biased here (as the one who suggested the new C-w
binding :-)

> Yes, I think that when `isearch-yank-char' has a key binding,
> it's better to change 'isearch-yank-word' to C-w to give the user
> a choice between adding a word or a character into the search string.

The question is: What is a "word" ?