Re: compilation-highlight-duration

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: compilation-highlight-duration
Date: 06 May 2004 09:48:18 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> I think that highlighting is useful *only* in grep-mode, when
> the cursor is not displayed in non-selected source window
> (i.e. cursor-in-non-selected-windows is nil).  And highlighting
> is pretty useless in `next-error' which selects a source window,
> because in this case the location is indicated by the cursor.

I still think it is useful in the other contexts too.  YMMV.

> But currently it's not possible to highlight the source buffer
> only in `next-error-no-select'.  Perhaps a new argument should be
> added to `next-error' and `compilation-next-error-function' indicating
> whether highlighting is desirable and in what fashion (overlay flashing
> delay duration, fringe arrow, etc.)

It is ok to make this more configurable, but for 21.4 (feature
freeze!) we should limit this to a new compilation-highlight-duration
variable that can be set to one of the following values:

        0 => don't highlight
        N > 0 => highlight for N seconds (N may be float)

Any other value also means don't highlight.

The remaining question is whether the default should be 0 or 0.5