Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 03:30:13 +0200

On 12 May 2004 16:12:32 -0400, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> Honestly, I can't believe we're spending so much energy on printing args in
> a slightly nicer way:

Me neither :)

> - making sure the new highlighting pleases most people [done].
> - making sure the new highlighting is OK in 99& of the environments

Yes.

>   [already done: including when the user changed the face to not be italics,
>   or when running on a tty.]
>   [left to do: detect X11 systems where the font chosen has no italics
>   version.]

It should work now, at least if display-supports-face-attributes-p is
reliable.

> If someone comes up with an actual use for those changes (rather than just
> minor aesthetics tweaks), maybe I can buy them, but as it stands I find it
> just a waste of effort.
> Especially since experience on gnu.emacs.help seems to indicate that most
> users don't spend that much time and effort reading docstrings.

Well, I see it different because I spend a lot of time reading
docstrings, so I don't think it's a waste of effort making them better,
even in aesthetic ways.

But certainly now is not the time to discuss it.  If we decide that more
information (structure, highlighting, or whatever) is necessary or
helpful in docstrings, we can design the new features on the 22.X
timeframe.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u