Re: ChangeLog fontifications

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: ChangeLog fontifications
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:14:16 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
> If some projects (including non-GNU projects) use the other style,
> we may as well make Emacs more useful for them.

Yes, all GNU projects I work on use the style with a 15-year tradition.

> I will write to suggest that they follow the GNU standards
> for this.
> I think that 1989 was before I thought about the issue

After people have used to write things in a certain style for 10 years -
following the example that was given by you, by GCC, glibc and other
projects - it will be hard to explain what in this style is "wrong".

Werner said that the new Emacs style is bad because it doesn't follow the
parenthesizing conventions used in plain text.

I add that the new Emacs style is bad because it doesn't allow a newline
to be inserted anywhere, i.e. it doesn't treat newline and space conceptually
the same.

What are the advantages/benefits of the new Emacs style that should
convince me and others to use it?

Bruno