Re: utf-8 cut/paste

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: utf-8 cut/paste
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:18:27 -0400

Benjamin,
thanks for your reply,

> * Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> [2004-05-24 11:52:29 +0200]:
>
> Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
>> the same utf-8 file is in an Emacs buffer, and I try to copy it with
>> `clipboard-kill-ring-save', I cannot paste into notepad or firefox:
>> the inserted text looks like "?????????".
>
> Emacs uses the legacy 8-bit text clipboard format, it doesn't use
> Unicode even on NT-based systems.  8-bit text won't work with
> arbitrary Unicode characters, naturally.
>
> If the text that you want to cut-and-paste only has characters that
> are available in your local 8-bit encoding (windows-1252 typically),
> there may be a solution using charset unification (I don't know how
> that machinery works exactly).

what is "charset unification"?
I thought that if I use unicode (utf-8), all characters are already
in one set.

> In any case you probably need to make sure that your
> selection-coding-system has the right value.

what value is right?

selection-coding-system
 ==> cp1252

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Booze is the answer. I can't remember the question.