Re: next-error-last-buffer

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: next-error-last-buffer
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:16:52 -0400

On Mon, 24 May 2004, address@hidden wrote:

> There is another problem related to `next-error-last-buffer'.
>
> When `next-error' visits a next-error capable buffer, it continues
> to visit places from that buffer instead of the original buffer
> from which it was found.
>
> This problem occurs when going through results in a grep buffer
> visits a patch file in diff mode.  The next call of `next-error'
> continues to visit places from a patch file, not from a grep buffer.

Excellent catch, I had not seen that problem.  I don't know if it's a
bug, though!

> To avoid this problem, the variable `next-error-function' could be set
> to nil in a buffer visited by the latest call of
> `next-error-function'.

But what if the user wants the next place in the patch file?  It
would be very useful to have next-error support that as well.

Maybe next-error should know when a user visits a buffer
interactively (with a keyboard command or a mouse click) versus
through a next-error invocation.  That way, the user can select the
diff buffer manually when they want the next diff hunk, but otherwise
next-error will keep using the original invocant buffer.

Ted