Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:44:07 +0100

Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:

> - Posting: Post CF_UNICODETEXT.  Test if CF_TEXT is there now.  If
>   CF_TEXT is not automatically provided by Windows, post CF_TEXT
>   ourself in additiona to CF_UNICODETEXT.  Note that this last
>   situation would triple the amount of memory required.

Andrew Innes always had the intention to make the clipboard work
on-demand, the same way it does on X. So the memory would only be
used if the clipboard text was actually pasted (and then only for the
format the client wanted).

Another thing worth considering, if we are making major changes to the
clipboard code, is that Kenichi Handa pointed out some time ago that
the encoding part of the X clipboard support is now done in Lisp
(xselect.el). Windows could do this too.

But now we are in feature freeze. It is probably worth letting Emacs
support CF_UNICODETEXT in some way, but I think the ideal solution is
too much. If you can find a simple solution that does not introduce
new user variables, even if it requires manual work by the user to
force unicode, then lets install that.

> Anyway, what happens to the MULE problem in this unified scenario?  Do
> all problems go away with unify-8859-on-{de,en}coding?

What MULE problem?