Re: display word wrapping

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 21:44:00 -0400

    Yes.  Even window's notepad can do word wrapping without modifying the
    buffer text...

What happens in Windows (aside from trying to read the files it
produces) is not a major design criterion for Emacs or other GNU
packages.

    That is ok for editing, but for reading (e.g. this mail), virtual word
    wrapping would be much simpler -- and problem-less.

I agree that word-wrapping in display would be useful for viewing
unfilled files.  However, that raises the question of how we design
Emacs with both line-breaking and word-wrapping without making that
somewhat confusing.

Perhaps we can have one command which enables word-wrapping
in a read-only buffer and enables filling in a writable buffer.