Re: minibuffer-eldef

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: minibuffer-eldef
Date: 03 Jun 2004 08:21:43 -0400

> The right way to do this would be to display the default value right
> in the text entry box in a special color.  If delete-selection-mode is
> enabled, the natural choice would be to just paste the default value
> into the text entry box and have it selected.

I agree that it would make sense, especially since it is what many people
using delete-selection-mode are already accustomed to.  But it is less
general, as can be seen in the recent discussion of M-%: the default
displayed in the prompt shows both `from' and `to' strings whereas the
prompt is only asking the user to enter the `from' string.  I think this
"discrepency" doesn't cause the slightest problem when the default is put in
a "(default FOO)" annotation in the prompt, whereas it would be slightly
confusing if it were put in the text field.

        Stefan