Re: Bug tracking

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:38:29 +0300

> There is flexibility and there is flexibility.  Of course using a
> custom-format, text file is the most flexible answer, at the cost of
> having no tool other than what we want to develop.  Yes, we have Emacs,
> but even Emacs has no "Bug Tracker" major mode, that I know of :)

Even without special mode a plain text file is the most convenient
way to edit data and to perform arbitrary Emacs operations on them.

> It doesn't have a web interface for other people, no automatic way
> to extract statistics, it's *clumsy* beyond belief if you want to
> also store past (and fixed or rejected) issues, has to be manually
> edited by us so outside people cannot enter issues,

I think there is nothing wrong with the fact that only Emacs
developers will be able to fill bug reports.  So no web interface
is really needed.

> needs that someone reads gnu-emacs-bugs@ reports and formats
> them as desired

That's exactly how it might work: developers read gnu-emacs-bugs,
create new bug entries in the text file and commit them to CVS.
And you can track changes in the text file with all the usual
features of CVS.

> it has limited posibilities for searching and categorizing...

Apart from the Ee categorizing manager, I think that some other
Emacs packages can perform these operations on text files.
AFAIK, at least Gnus should be able to read a text file in the
mail-like format and to treat it as a mail group with bug and TODO
entries as messages.  There are even many possibilities of tighter
integration with its email functionality.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/