Re: Bug tracking

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:32:31 +0300

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:09:34 +0300
> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It seems ewoc.el might be useful as
>> a data-view connection between a buffer with BUGS text file and
>> categorized views displayed by Ee.
> Ee is composed of 65 files, 27 of them elisp modules.  It is mature
> enough, and generally useful enough, to accept it as a prerequisite for
> a issue tracker on elisp?

It is quite mature: there were no serious problems found for a year.
As for usefulness, I believe it is useful due to its general and simple
interface for presenting data by views with hierarchical categories.

However, I wouldn't say that it should be a prerequisite for managing
bug reports and TODO items in Emacs.  I think they should be editable
as normal text files (though, in a predefined format) without requiring
additional packages.

Issue trackers could be implemented on top of text files as a tool
to display data in different views (with all additional nice features
like statistics, categorizing, etc. that existing issue trackers have)
instead of default flat text.

Juri Linkov