Re: isearch hooks (was: query-replace-interactive not documented)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: isearch hooks (was: query-replace-interactive not documented)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:19:32 -0400

    The patch below adds two hooks `isearch-wrapped-hook' and
    `isearch-failed-hook'.

Thanks for working on it.

However, I have a feeling that `isearch-failed-hook' is not
implemented properly for the intended use.  If isearch should move
between info nodes, the natural way is that a failing search should
switch nodes and then try again.  To do that, this hook should run
shortly after the actual search primitive, and it should be run with
run-hook-with-args-until-success, and if it succeeds then
isearch-success should be t--as if the search primitive had succeeded.
So it won't put "Failed " in the echo area, for instance.

I just looked at isearch.el and came across isearch-search-fun-function.
I have a feeling that the right way to make isearch search through
multiple nodes or buffers is to define a new low-level search function
and interface it through isearch-search-fun-function.

Does that look right to you?