Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:22:16 +0200

Saluton,

"Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> skribis:

> > Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:40:13 +0200
> > From: address@hidden (Daniel Pfeiffer)
> >
> > What GNU grep doesn't have (but could learn) is predefined file
> > sets, like everything that smells of a C/C++ source.
> >
> > What GNU grep will hardly learn is deciding file treatment besed on
> > content(other than binary) or doing something with the content, like
> > ignoring certain parts (e.g. comments).
>
> When I need that, I use ID-Utils (and the small Emacs package that
> comes with it), not Grep.  Isn't "M-x gid" from that package what you
> want?

Sounds interesting.  But it also sound kinda big, like Glimpse it requires
indexing, which is certainly efficient (unless the indexed stuff changes
frequently).  And I frequently grep in various corners of various machines, on
all of which I'd have to install this, which is already my turn off with GNU
grep...  At first sight my little script gives me more bang for the euro.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/