Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:20:28 +0200

Saluton,

"Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> skribis:

> > Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:08:51 +0200
> > From: address@hidden (Daniel Pfeiffer)

> > - Is it better to delete the Escape sequences as Juri suggested and thus
> > irreversibly change the buffer contents such that it can't be
> > rehighlighted?
> >
> > - Or do we maintain save-to-file and editability, by making the Escape
> > sequences invisible (and maybe solving the drawbacks somehow)?
>
> I missed that part of the discussion, but why not use something like
> ansi-color.el to _display_ the highlighted substrings as if they were
> on a text-mode terminal?

It is not immediately clear to me how to hook that into font-lock or
specifically grep.el.  But it would seem to also delete the Escape sequences,
which was my criticism of Juri's code.

Is there no way of making text invisible, such that it doesn't get in the way
when searching of copy/pasting it?

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/