Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:17:00 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Note that my objection lies in the way that unconstrained ChangeLog edits
> made it harder relate the history of two branches (to the extent that you
> need to use ChangeLog to do so -- but a well-maintained ChangeLog is a
> valuable tool for this purpose, especially if you're using a
> non-changeset-oriented source-control system like CVS).  If Kai's "system"
> puts well-defined merge-markers into his synthesized ChangeLogs, so you
> pretty much tell which changes came from where, it might also be reasonable.

My goal is to sync each stable release of Tramp with Emacs in such a
way that the two copies are equal.  So a comment along the lines of
"Tramp synced with 2.0.42" is pretty clear, I guess ;-)

So far, only little changes had been made in Emacs CVS, but now, Luc
has written lots of email that I still haven't fully processed...  So
perhaps this approach will prove to be more work than I intended.

But in the case of Gnus, it appears that lots of changes have been
made to Emacs CVS which have not systematically been merged back.  I
wonder if something could be done about this?

Perhaps all Emacs developers working on externally maintained package
X should get CVS access to that package, as well?

Kai