Re: bug in frame-width

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: bug in frame-width
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:41:46 +0200

The problem is that if I use `modify-frame-parameters' to change the
`left-fringe' or `right-fringe' parameters, then (frame-width)
actually _should_ stay the same, but the X window should narrow or
broaden.  This does not happen.

The general rule of thumb in X11 is that an application should only change its window's position and size if the user explicitly asks for it. When the
user asks to change the fringe, she does not request a change in the
window's size, so frame-width should change so that the window's pixel
size stays constant, not the other way around.

I would not say that it is a rule of thumb. After all, xterm resizes itself
when the scroll bar is enabled/disabled.  Also, changing font size does
resize the window to keep number of rows and columns the same in both
xterm and Emacs.  However, as you point out, Emacs is inconsistent in
how it deals with this.  I for one would prefer if Emacs always tried
to keep the number of rows and columns the same.  We should agree on
the desired strategy (keep rows/columns or keep frame width/height) for
Emacs before fixing things like this.

        Jan D.