Re: Gnus branch

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Gnus branch
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:06:14 +0200

On Thu, Aug 19 2004, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Some other (maybe) important changes (by Stefan Monnier, Juanma
>     Barranquero, Kim F. Storm, Sam Steingold, ...) have not been installed
>     yet.
>
> Can you identify these changes and merge the ones we need
> into the branch?

I have merged the changes of Sam Steingold into the branch.  Then I
looked at the patches of other (i.e. not Stefan, Juanma, Kim and
Andreas Schwab) people that don't have write access to the Gnus
repository.  Those changes seem to be included in Gnus already.  It
seems that ShengHuo ZHU (and maybe others?) has merged all changes
before 2003-02 already into the Gnus repository.

I have added a file lisp/gnus/TODO to the Gnus branch that contains
the ChangeLog entries from now back to 2003-02.  The TODO file should
help us to keep track of what changes are still "open".

I would like to ask Stefan[1], Juanma, Kim and Andreas to check their
changes and make a little note in the lisp/gnus/TODO file about the
status ("applied", "already fixed", ...) of the change in that file.

When applying a change, please add a note _temporary_ "[Emacs/trunk
YYYY-MM-DD]" into the gnus/ChangeLog file.  I think we can keep track
of the merging easier.  Before merging the Gnus branch back to the
trunk, we will remove these notes.

[1] Stefan, I tried to merge your "Use inhibit-read-only instead of
buffer-read-only." patch (2004-03-22) into `gnus-art.el'.  Many hunks
failed and in the file on the trunk, there are still some let-bound
buffer-read-only variables.  I suppose you did replace
"(buffer-read-only nil)" by "(inhibit-read-only t)" and missed some
stuff like...

  (let ((inhibit-point-motion-hooks t)
        buffer-read-only)
    ...)

I tried to treat those, too.  I hope that I did the right thing and
I'd be happy if you could check if I did it correctly.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)