Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:52:15 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vinicius Jose Latorre" <address@hidden>

>  > >> 2) Some windows specific printing entries to the menus since
printing
>  > >> otherwise tends to be a problem when you start with Emacs on ms
> windows. I
>  > >> also remove the unix-related printing entries from the menus
> because they do
>  > >> not work or do not work as you expect them to. Of course I make
> this as
>  > >> customization options.
>
> What kind of problems?
>
> The printing entries in the menu are not unix-related, it should work
> also on Windows.

I am sorry, but I do not understand. We must be misunderstanding each other
here. If I just install a vanilla Emacs on ms windows and try "File - Print
Buffer" on the menus I get something like this:

    Spooling with options (page headers are not supported)...
    direct-print-region-helper: IO error writing c:/PRN: Bad file descriptor

I get similar results if I use "File - PostScript Print Buffer". I guess
this is the reason there are so many advices on printing in the "GNU Emacs
FAQ For Windows 95/98/ME/NT/XP and 2000"
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/big.html#printing-emacs).

MS Windows users expect things to work right out of the box. I struggled
with the advices above but still had big difficulties. I am not quite sure
about this, but as I remember it it still did not work when I finally found
out the network UNC adress (\\server\printer) of the printer I wanted to
use. (I am curious, I will try it again, since so many people seem to insist
it does work if you use the UNC adress and I do not remember exactly now.
Maybe it was some part of it that did not work.)

But at that point I just gave it up, realizing most people just do not want
to make that work.

> Have you read the ps-print.el documentation?

I did look at it and I am sure that it does a lot of things that can be
useful for me if it just used the default printer.

- Lennart