Re: Slow access to files using UNC path

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Slow access to files using UNC path
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:20:03 +0530

hello,

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:42:47 +0200, Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> wrote:
> > + ;;;###autoload
> > + (defvar vc-hostname-fs-path-re "\\`\\([\\/][\\/]\\|/net/\\|/afs/\\)\\'")
> > +
> >   ;; vc-annotate functionality (CVS only).
> >   (defvar vc-annotate-mode nil
> >     "Variable indicating if VC-Annotate mode is active.")
>
> That doesn't look right.  If you want to ensure every backend sees the
> variable when needed, place it into vc-hooks.el (this is the
> always-loaded portion of VC).  It needs to have a good doc string
> though.  Not having followed the discussion until now, I have hardly any
> idea what the variable is supposed to do.  The doc string suggested in
> an earlier patch:
>
>   "Regular expression to identify remote folders"
>
> isn't much help either.  ("Folder" is not an Emacs term, to begin
> with.)  Please clarify.  Also, if this is a general mechanism to

Agreed. The whole chain started with my observation of very slow
access to files under UNC when compared to XEmacs. In an earlier
posting, I was told it was due to XEmacs using something like
find-file-literally and Emacs using find-file (which has lot of
hooks). It was debuged and found by Mr.KOBAYASHI Yasuhiro and the
original patch. I found the regex was not working for me from the
original patch and Stefan came up with the current regexp which
_tremendously_ speeds up accessing files over UNC. They have now
generalized for UNC,net and afs (not sure of this ,though)

> identify directories on remote hosts, I wonder if only VC is concerned
> with it.  Perhaps the regexp needs to go to a different place
> altogether?

I agree with you here. This variable could be in a more generic
location with a different name too. Ex: remote-folder-regex or
something like that and this should be defcustom. The default can be
the one in the patch.

with best regards,
dhruva

Dhruva Krishnamurthy