Re: small Eshell docfix

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: Re: small Eshell docfix
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 21:47:35 +0200

Kim F Storm writes:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:23:07PM +0200, Emilio Lopes wrote:

>> > ! (defcustom eshell-explicit-command-char ?\\
>> >     "*If this char occurs before a command name, call
>> >     it externally.
>> > ! That is, although vi may be an alias, \\vi will
>> > always call the ! external version."
>>
>> Might want to put something like "MS Windows users may
>> want to change this to another character to avoid
>> conflicting with the path-separator syntax" (just to rub
>> it in ... :-)

Eshell doesn't accept `\' as directory separator.  An besides
the command interpreter in MS Windows doesn't has such a
function (quoting to protect from alias expansion).  So, for
MS Windows users there is no conflict or a tradition to be
broken here.

> But why don't we just let the default depend on
> system-type

>         (if (memq system-type '(windows-nt ms-dos)) ?*
>         ?\\)

> Lots of other default settings already depend on
> system-type, so I don't see why this is any different, as
> long as we get the proper default for GNU.

Well, one of the main advantages of Eshell is that its
behavior doesn't depend on the OS you are using.  You just
have the same interface everywhere.  To show the contents of
a directory you just use `ls', also on MS Windows (not `dir'!).

Having such a gratuitous difference would be confusing IMHO.