Re: yet more term.el fixes #2

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: yet more term.el fixes #2
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:43:25 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > > When simply inserting raw character values in to the buffer, it seems
  > > that some sort of default decoding takes place at insert/display time,
  >
  > Yes, `insert' says it uses string-make-multibyte which itself uses
  > unibyte-char-to-multibyte.
  >
  > By the way, `insert' also says "if you want to preserve binary data as
  > binary, use string-as-multibyte", shouldn't that be "string-TO-multibyte"?

Well, I managed to make it work, I needed to add:

  (set-buffer-multibyte t)
to `term-mode'

and change the (insert (substring str i funny)) call in
`term-emulate-terminal' to:

(insert (string-as-unibyte (substring str i funny)))

This works with both:

EMACS_UNIBYTE=1 emacs
EMACS_UNIBYTE=0 emacs

One way to test it is to run lynx www.emacswiki.org in the term.el
terminal and check that the language names are printed correctly.

I don't know if the above changes are strictly correct, so I'd
appreciate is somebody could confirm it.

Thanks.
                --dan