Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:21:11 +0200

Quoting Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

> >> Marant is proposing to make a 21.4 release in the short term
> >> based on 21.3.  I'm inclined to accept his offer, but does anyone
> >> argue against it?
>
> I think it would be a waste of time.  And several users would be
> disappointed because the new release "still doesn't fix the bug I reported
> 4 years ago".

Please comment on my other reply. We do not intend to do anything
with 21.3. This is a general practice that could be started once
the next trunk is released.
You are telling that it is a waste of time: are you saying that
the time we spend providing bugfixes for Debian users of Emacs
is a waste of time?

> I haven't seen enormous amounts of bug reports in gnu.emacs.bug since 21.3
> came out, and I haven't seen any significant bugfix on the RC branch, so
> I think we should just fous on releasing the trunk rather than spend time on
> a minor release that noone will care about (most machines I have access to
> still use 21.2, BTW).

We have received tons of bug reports at Debian, and used to spend a
huge amount of time digging into the CVS trunk to backport fixes
for Emacs crashes. We wouldn't have to spend so much time if we had
provided a patch at the time it was applied to the trunk.
Saying that noone cares is plain wrong. Bug reports we receive
every day definitely proves you wrong.

--
Jérôme Marant