Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:26:16 +0200

>     We once discussed the idea to use negative Z values for CVS and pretests,
>     e.g. instead of 21.3.50.NN we would have 21.4.-99.NN for CVS version
>     and pretests vould be 21.4.-98, 21.4.-97 etc.
>
> One drawback of this idea is that the pretest version numbers are moving
> towards a fixed limit of zero, which puts a bound on them.

So call the CVS version 21.4.-999 and let the pretests use -998 -997 etc.
That should be enough I think (hope :-)

>     - use MAJOR.MINOR where MINOR is only incremented for bugfix releases and
>       MAJOR is incremented for non-bugfix releases.  I.e. the next release
> would
>       then be 22.1 and unicode would be 23.1.
>
> That would be a good scheme, I think.

I really wish we could agree on renumbering the next release from trunk to 22.1.

It is the first major release in YEARS, so it warrants a new major release
number.

And it could mark the start of a new bug-fix numbering scheme:

CVS version:  22.1.-999
Pretests:     22.1.-998 ... 22.1.-1
Initial release: 22.1  (or 22.1.0)
Bug fixes:    22.1.1, 22.1.2, ...

Minor releases: 22.2, 22.3, ...

I hereby offer to make all the necessary changes!