RE: info faces for strings and quotations

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: info faces for strings and quotations
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:53:12 -0700

Regarding the two kinds of pb you mention:

1. I think the (sometimes) incorrect treatment of one or more single-quotes
inside `...' is something we should not bother to try to fix. Attempts to do
so will make for other pbs elsewhere. How can you know which is the quoted
name to be highlighted here: xxx`yyy'zzz'www -- yyy'zzz or just yyy?

Consider:

 - `foo' is George's plan...         -- we should highlight foo
 - `(funcall 'foo)' is what I think  -- we should highlight (funcall 'foo)

Note: font-lock highlighting of even something as simple as `C-x 2' fails,
because of the space. (Or, let's say it doesn't fail; it was designed to not
highlight this.)

2. The pb of not interpreting " to begin a string if it is escaped (\") is
no doubt fixable, at the risk of complicating the regexp. Suggested fixes
welcome.

Thanks,

  Drew

-----Original Message-----From: Juri Linkov

OTOH, there are some places where it fails on legitimate constructs.

1. `"It's a tiger!"'; but when you evaluate `(type-of-animal 'zebra)',
  you will see `"It's not fierce!"'.

2. if address \"sender\" \"address@hidden" {

the rest of the node is fontified in string face.

While I think this feature is useful enough to be ON by default,
expect a lot of bug reports unless these problems are fixed.