Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars p

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars present
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:18:20 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't want to stir this pot much more, but, for clarification:
>
>  - I thought that Kim's original text, quoted by Richard, was talking about
> letting you drag the scroll-bar itself, not dragging below it on the
> mode-line. Is that right?

Yes.

>  - I thought that Richard's reply was taking about this thin vertical strip
> that Kim proposed perhaps adding between windows. Is that right?

Richard said that we cannot drag the scroll-bar itself (the scrollbar widget
takes control over the mouse, so that's not possible).

Then he commented on the square area that was between modelines in
20.x that was reduced to a thin line in 21.1.  He said it was easier
to grab the old square than the current thin line.

>  - If so, then I don't understand Kim's reply, saying that we already have
> such a feature - that it's easy to use "that thin line" to drag. Is the thin
> line in question the current thin line between _mode-lines_, or the tiny
> area between _windows_ that Kim proposed adding?

My response was that it is just as easy to grab the thin line (between
modelines) in 21.x as it was to grab the square in 20.x

> To me, needing to mouse-over the scroll-bar to get the drag handle would be
> OK. The scroll-bar is big, obvious, and conceptually that's just what you
> want to do: drag the scroll-bar.

As I said, mouse-over for a scroll-bar is out of emacs' control.  If we are
to do something here, we would add a thin line on the side of the scrollbar
and the user would have to be precise to grab that line (like grabbing the
edge of a frame)...

>                                  Needing to mouse-over to find the existing
> tiny thin line between _mode-lines_, however, is not good. Intuitively, you
> don't go mousing around between two mode-lines to find where to drag the
> scroll-bar.

Didn't you have to mouse around in 20.x to discover what the square area did?
I don't see the difference...

> So, just what thin, vertical rectangle are we talking about here: a
> potential one to be added between windows or the existing one between
> mode-lines?

The one between mode lines.