Re: Small enhancement for add-log.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Small enhancement for add-log.el
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:07:54 -0500 (CDT)

Kim Storm wrote:

   When I look through ChangeLog files, I often type `q' to quit --
   but instead a q is inserted into the buffer.

   What about the following change [I know it's a hack] which kills the
   buffer if you type `q' in an unmodified ChangeLog buffer.

I do not have this tendency myself and I believe that this is just a
personal idiosyncrasy.  I believe the probability of doing that would
be a lot bigger when editing etc/NEWS, because there everything looks
exactly like if you had done `C-h n'.  Even for etc/NEWS, I would not
recommend your solution.

I have other idiosyncrasies myself.  In a buffer visiting a file, I
often type `^', expecting to visit the file's directory in Dired
(because I think of `^' as going up in the directory tree).  I just
erase the `^' and do `C-x d'.  I am not going to suggest to rebind `^'
in file visiting buffers, to fit that habit of mine.

   It should be pretty safe, as the buffer is modified after C-x 4 a
   and similar commands.

But it is no longer modified after you save your changes without being
completely through editing.  (I often do that.)  Having to erase the
`q' and having to type `C-x k' is by no means as inconvenient as
having to revisit the file and losing all your undo history.

Sincerely,

Luc.