Re: [rmail-mbox-branch]: mail-utils

From: Alexander Pohoyda
Subject: Re: [rmail-mbox-branch]: mail-utils
Date: 11 Oct 2004 21:01:23 +0200

>     Meanwhile, I have re-implemented about 20 rfc* functions because I
>     didn't like their dependency on mm-* code.  My implementation is also
>     cleaner in a way that it uses even more basic general-purpose mail
>     functions which I will try to put into mail-utils.el file.
>
> I like the idea of doing it this way.  How many lines do they add up
> to?  Let's decide whether this should be one file or many.

My "lightweight" implementation is currently ~20KB (organized in 6
files) plus ~16KB of new code for mail-utils.el file.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea to put those 20KB in one file (let's
call it lisp/mail/mime.el)

>     What I'm going to do now is to remove mm-* dependency from
>     lisp/gnus/rfc*.el files and submit a patch here.
>
> I cannot follow this part.  If we are replacing and eliminating the
> code in lisp/gnus/rfc*.el, why talk about patching those files?

You're right, that sounds suboptimal.  However, I'm afraid that Gnus
people will not like the idea of adapting Gnus to a new code and I
don't want to force them to do this.  Then again, there may be almost
no adaptation needed.

--
Alexander Pohoyda <address@hidden>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44