Re: find-file and backward-kill-word

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: find-file and backward-kill-word
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:16:08 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Perhaps we should not move the cursor when "killing" readonly
> material?

Is the problem here really "killing" readonly material?  IMO, the
problem is killing into the prompt, which is a fairly recent Emacs
behavior.  I have

    minibuffer-prompt-properties's value is
    (read-only t point-entered minibuffer-avoid-prompt)

    Text properties that are added to minibuffer prompts.
    These are in addition to the basic `field' property, and stickiness
    properties.

    You can customize this variable.

    Defined in `C source code'.

This fixes the problem completely for me, with no ill effects save
that I can't copy the prompt.  Since I've never wanted to do that, I'm
not unhappy.

Perhaps minibuffer-avoid-prompt should be made the default.

(I think the reason that "killing" moves the prompt is that it allows
you to kill a larger segment of text, if you want to.  It beeps a lot,
but I have found it useful occasionally outside the minibuffer.)

--
Alan Shutko <address@hidden> - I am the rocks.
Just when you thought it was safe to go outside...