Re: Building Emacs from CVS on windows nt failed

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Building Emacs from CVS on windows nt failed
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:49:46 -0400

>     doit:

>     cus-load.el:
>           touch $@

>     custom-deps: cus-load.el doit
>          @echo Directories: $(WINS)
>         -$(emacs) -l cus-dep --eval $(ARGQUOTE)(setq find-file-hooks
> nil)$(ARGQUOTE) -f custom-make-dependencies $(lisp) $(WINS)

`doit' is there to make sure that `make custom-deps' is never considered as
"built".  Admittedly, since the file `custom-deps' doesn't exist any more than
the file `doit', it's not very useful in this case, but it's a more
generic pattern.

IIRC the elisp function `custom-make-dependencies' fails if cus-load.el does
not exist yet.  That's why there is a `cus-load.el' rule which does nothing
more than ensure that the file exists (if it already exists, then the
`cus-load.el' rule is not executed since there is no dependency).

> Does not this always fail the first time, before cus-load.el exists?

It's always worked for me.  Your `touch' program seems odd in that it seems
to refuse to create a file, even though `touch' is often used exactly for
this purpose.

        Stefan