Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:02:09 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>  Then a user can't recover that original setting when he once
>>  switch to, e.g., Latin-1.  Just switching back to Japanese
>>  can't setup coding systems for utf8.

> M-x set-locale-environment RET

> In my experience set-locale-environment has always been closer to what
> I wanted to do than set-language-environment.
> It also has the advantage of having a meaning outside of Emacs and of
> conveniently separate the issue of language from the issue of coding-system.

Yes, asking users to use set-locale-environment instead of
set-language-environment is one way.  But, I've thought that
set-locale-environment is not a command we usually ask a
user to use, but a function that runs at startup time.  Do
you mean to recommend users to use set-locale-environment
always?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden