Re: New mail-related routines

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: New mail-related routines
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:03:58 +0200

Is there an updated version of your patch to review?  I think I agree
with all comments raised so far.  It would be easier to review your
code if there is an updated version to look at.

I think it is important to improve documentation regarding these new
functions.  Right now, similar functions are implemented many times in
many places in Emacs.  It would be good if these could be fixed to use
only one correct implementation.  If there is no guidance, people will
just write new functions for the same purpose again, or use one of the
existing but inelegant interfaces.

Perhaps a new texinfo manual could be created, "Emacs Lisp Mail
Functions" (or something), to document the recommended mail APIs to
use in Emacs Lisp.  It should be in a non-MUA specific (Gnus, RMAIL
etc) way.  Perhaps extending emacs-mime.texi is the right thing, it
already contain some non-MIME, but generic purpose mail functions.