Re: Patch: new function process-file (call-process with file handlers)

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Patch: new function process-file (call-process with file handlers)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:06:54 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> I am using VC.
>
> If I do `C-x v v C-c C-c" I get:
>
> vc-do-command: Running cvs...FAILED (nil)
>
> My changes got committed OK to Savannah CVS, but the version number in
> the mode line got not updated.  Before your recent changes, it got
> updated.

Duh.  I apologize.  I confess, though, that I don't know what's
wrong.  I never used CVS with Tramp.  I just tried to open an
RCS-controlled file /sudo:address@hidden:/tmp/foo, and with this file,
C-x v = and C-x v v seemed to work in some fashion, though I also see
the error message "RCS/foo,v: no such file or directory".

Hm.  Now I also tested with a "local" CVS repository as follows:

    ssh address@hidden
    cvs -d $HOME/cvsrepo init
    mkdir $HOME/cvstest
    cd $HOME/cvstest
    echo bla > foo
    cvs add foo
    cvs ci -m'' foo

Then, I used Emacs to edit the file foo:

    C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:/home/testuser/cvstest/foo RET

Then, I made some changes, saved them, invoked C-x v =.  That
complained a bit ("no such file or directory" for foo.~1.1.~ and foo)
but did produce a diff.

Then, I committed the changes, and that also produced an error message
but did commit.

But this was the first time for me to use CVS via Tramp, so I can't
say whether what I saw was normal.

Can you show me how to reproduce the problem?

Kai