Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:06:29 -0400

> Thanks. I think the main area that needs porting is the use of
> unix domain sockets for communicating between emacsclient and the
> server. I think there are some security issues with changing to
> TCP or UDP sockets (this has been discussed in the past too), so
> mailslots are probably the best replacement on Windows.

Last time this came about "it was decided" that mailslots are *not* the way
to go.  A much better approach is to address the security issues with TCP
sockets (UDP is not really an option) because this will then benefit to all
users rather than only to w32 ones.

The simplest way to get it to work is probably along the following lines:

The server side creates a socket on an OS-chosen TCP port.  It then checks to
see which port was chosen, and writes it to a file, together with a unique
random key.  Emacsclient then just has to read this same file to find the
port to connect to and to find the key to send as an authentication token.

        Stefan