Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:02:36 +0900

> Hm.  That would work.  But perhaps the best solution is to not move
> any files after all.  :-)

No, I think the files should be moved; the whole "but what about the
history?" issue is IMHO, vastly overrated -- it's a minor bump in the
road (if even that) that will make future operations smoother.

Remember, the _info is still there_, just slightly more annoying to get
at.  In my experience, looking at history is (1) not all that frequent
an event, and (2) almost always involves the last few file revisions;
point (2) is important because it means for commonly changed files, the
bump caused by file moving will cease to be an issue after a short while
(and for _un_-commonly changed files, well, they're not being changed
very often, so aren't something to worry about very much).

Moving the files will simplify coordination with Emacs, and not just
with regard to the source-code "syncing" process: more importantly, it
will clearly communicate to Gnus developers the status of a file they're
working on, and make its relationship with Emacs obvious.

Morever I think Gnus is large enough that some more directory structure
is a good thing even without Emacs coordination to worry about.

> If we had a specific and set mapping maintained in a file that said
> where each file is supposed to go, then perhaps Miles would be able
> to sort things out automatically?

Maintaining a mapping between emacs locations and Gnus locations is not
generally a problem for me -- arch applies changesets according to
file-id, not name.

There is a slight benefit to having similar directory structures when
files are added/removed, as I probably don't have to worry about
adjusting the names in that case.  However this is a relatively rare
event.

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde