Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:06:40 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> 3. Time-delay - Without having tried the time-delay implementation,
> my guess is that it would be an acceptable solution. The longer
> delay should be used for the less common behavior in Emacs - and for
> the behavior that is less common (inexistant?) outside of Emacs.
>
> IOW, the normal, short click behavior of mouse-1 should be to follow
>a link (or to click a button); the longer "click" should set point or
>drag or whatever within the link text. As far as an action button (or
>an active image or image map) is concerned, I see little reason for
>this exceptional mouse-1 behavior there; such behavior should be
>reserved for links - which is one more reason that the long "click"
>should _not_ be the link-follow action.

I have given some reasons.  Another is that if "nothing happens",
people will click longer in order to get the "I really mean it!"
message across.  This "Damn it computer, do what I mean" approach that
makes people figure out themselves how this is done does not work when
the short click follows links.

Some other programs offer you the possibility to stop some action from
actually happening from a click or drag if you press ESC (or C-g?)
before releasing the button.