Re: Boostrap error

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Boostrap error
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:51:06 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:

: handler expand-file-name (subdirs.el /:/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp)
: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
: Signal 127
: make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
: make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp'
: make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

Please look at the regexp in the beginning of the file I attached before. I
was uncertain of whether to use "cygdrive" or "cygwin", I do not use Cygwin
myself. This can maybe explain the first error.

It is cygdrive by default, but it really can be set to anything. I don't use cygwin either, I only got it installed so I could test the build process under Windows. I don't think I will spend any more time on this, I have other things to do and Windows is not my preferred platform. Besides, the solution you are proposing only handles a special case, not the general case. If it where up to me, I'd let configure check if cygpath is usable, and if not, require that the user supply the dos path to configure (--dospath=c:/whatever/emacs) and use that for buildlisppath and lisp in the makefiles for leim and lisp respectively. But again, this is not my platform of choice, so the ones working on this must do what they think is best.

        Jan D.