Re: patch for documentation about version control

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: patch for documentation about version control
Date: 12 Nov 2004 04:33:36 -0500

Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> writes:

   So that means analyzing the tree takes longer than building it in the
   first place, right?  I'm not sure what algorithm you use for that, since
   I don't understand your code ;-)  Maybe there's a quadratic complexity
   in there, which could be improved upon.  Did you check how CVS does it?

no, i just applied the age-old reverse-engineering algorithm: futz around
until the output is the same (i confess peeking at RCS source to verify date
handling since i have no ,v files predating 1970)...  i will add explanatory
comments in the next patch.

   We'd have to test on a few more real-world files, and on a real-world
   machine (forgive me, I mean >300MHz :-)  If it stays below a minute for
   very large/complex change histories, I'd say we're still fine.

well earthling, thank you for your continuing hospitality... ;-)

thi