Re: Old versions of GNU Emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Old versions of GNU Emacs
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:16:28 +0900

"Ben Wing" <address@hidden> writes:
> What was the first version checked into CVS?

The date on revision 1.1 of src/editfns.c is 1991-06-29, commited by Jim

Judging from ChangeLog entries around that time, it _looks_ like
possibly the CVS repository was created by him when he was working on
first version of Emacs 19 -- there are many entries like "merge from
Emacs 18.59 ...", and references to version "19.0".

A quick query to Jim might get a more accurate reply, but it seems
roughly accurate to say it starts with version 19.

[My recollection is that RMS didn't use CVS for a very long time after
that though, so I suppose the CVS copy may not be authoritative for
older versions of 19.]

"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research