buff-menu.el header line

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: buff-menu.el header line
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:45:25 +0000 (UTC)

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Thu, 2004 Nov 18  15:43 UTC
GNU Emacs (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.13)
started with

    /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q

When `Buffer-menu-use-header-line' is nil, the header line generated
by `list-buffers' fails to line up with the underlines.  (The default
is that `Buffer-menu-use-header-line' is t.)

The misalignment can be fixed by deleting the space before the `CRM'
in `list-buffers-noselect' on line 648 of emacs/lisp/buff-menu.el

         (header (concat " " (propertize "CRM " 'face 'fixed-pitch)
         (header (concat (propertize "CRM " 'face 'fixed-pitch)

Also, the header line has two different height faces.  The difference
is small, but can be seen.

The `C' of `CRM' uses

    -Adobe-Courier-Medium-R-Normal--17-120-100-100-M-100-ISO8859-1 (0x43)

and the `B' of `Buffer' uses

    -ETL-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-160-72-72-C-80-ISO8859-1 (0x42)

I determined this by commenting out line 674 of
`list-buffers-noselect' in emacs/lisp/buff-menu.el

;;      (put-text-property 1 (point) 'intangible t)

Do others see the same problems as I?  (I don't know for sure whether
the issues result from my display or are general.)

If others see the same problems, then

 1. I expect no argument over deleting the extraneous white space on
    line 648.

 2. The issue of different sized faces is one of sensitivity and
    practicality.  I do not have any same-sized faces with the same
    looks.  The faces chosen have the closest size.

    The problem does not appear to occur when
    `Buffer-menu-use-header-line' is set to t, the default.  I suspect
    most people use the default.  Perhaps nothing should be done.

 3. There may be more argument about deleting the line providing an
    intangible text property.  I always comment it out because its
    existence means I cannot use `C-n' (next-line) when point is in
    the header.  On the other hand, others may prefer only to use
    `C-f' (forward-char), which leaves the header line and its

    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8