Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:27:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Jari Aalto wrote:

>This is your copy. Article has been posted to the newsgroup(s).

><address@hidden> writes:
>| Working with emacs 21.3.
>| Struggled for a while to get emacs to save a file without final newline.
>| ...The point is: emacs must not start changing my files without
>| being asked.

>I agree. The problem is not just in CC mode, but also in other modes as
>well. Could someone from the dev team address these below.

In CC mode, there is the (customisable) variable c-require-final-newline,
an association list, which you can set to either t, nil, or "don't
touch!" for each language independently.  The thinking is that some
languages' syntaxes absolutely require a final newline (I haven't myself
checked if this is true), and that only in those languages (C, C++,
Objective-C) is c-require-final-newline set to t.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)