behavior of vc-recompute-state in combination with vc-cvs-stay-local is

From: klaus.berndl
Subject: behavior of vc-recompute-state in combination with vc-cvs-stay-local is t
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:31:27 +0100

One more question to that topic:

(Yes, i know, that currently vc-recompute-state is not really an
"official" interface of the VC-package but nevertheless i'm wondering
if the folliwng behavior is wanted and if yes why?

This is the current implementation (21.3.1) of vc-recompute-state:

(defun vc-recompute-state (file)
  "Force a recomputation of the version control state of FILE.
The state is computed using the exact, and possibly expensive
function `vc-BACKEND-state', not the heuristic."
  (vc-file-setprop file 'vc-state (vc-call state file)))

which calls in turn for CVS-files:

(defun vc-cvs-state (file)
  "CVS-specific version of `vc-state'."
  (if (vc-cvs-stay-local-p file)
      (let ((state (vc-file-getprop file 'vc-state)))
        ;; If we should stay local, use the heuristic but only if
        ;; we don't have a more precise state already available.
        (if (memq state '(up-to-date edited))
            (vc-cvs-state-heuristic file)
          state))
    (with-temp-buffer
      (cd (file-name-directory file))
      (vc-do-command t 0 "cvs" file "status")
      (vc-cvs-parse-status t))))

well, suppose the folliwng scenario:

1. Staring emacs with emacs -q -no-site-file (i.e. fresh)
   (vc-cvs-stay-local is t)
2. (require 'vc) (require 'vc-hooks)
3. Running (vc-recompute-state "/a/file/under/lokal-repository-CVS/file.txt")
   ==> returns a valid state (e.g. up-to-date)
4. Running (vc-recompute-state "/a/file/under/remote-repository-CVS/file.txt")
   ==> returns always nil, because the state-binding in the vc-cvs-state is
       always nil for that file.

I thought a combination of vc-recompute-state and vc-cvs-stay-local is t returns
always a state, regardless if the repository is remote (step 4)or local (step 3)
and the t of vc-cvs-stay-local prevents VC from doing a full "cvs
status"-call...
But obviously in some cases this combination return no state even if the file
is registered in CVS (step 4)....

`vc-state' returns always a valid heuristic state if a file is under CVS and
never
nil (regardless if the rep. is local or remote)...

Well, Stefan said, vc-recompute-state is not for external usage - so my
question:
is that behavior ok, and would irt be possible to change it, so
vc-recompute-state
also returns always a valid state iuf a file is under CVS-control and never
nil?!

Thanks for your efforts,
Klaus