[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
AW: behavior of vc-recompute-state in combination withvc-cvs-stay-local
AW: behavior of vc-recompute-state in combination withvc-cvs-stay-local is t
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:21:55 +0100
On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 17:31 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>> 4. Running (vc-recompute-state "/a/file/under/remote-repository-CVS/file.txt")
>> ==> returns always nil, because the state-binding in the vc-cvs-state is
>> always nil for that file.
>The code was simply based on the assumption that vc-recompute-state
>would only be called for files that are already visited. In this case,
>vc-state can never be nil because we compute it at visiting time
ah, i had already a suspicion like that....
But what i still do not understand, why vc-recompute-state behaves
different related if the repository is local or remote 8at least this
is the only difference i can imagine between the two testcases - see
my first postin, steps 4 and 3?
>I've changed this now and moved vc-recompute-state into vc-hooks.el. It
>should always return a valid state now.
ah, this sounds wonderful! IMHO this would be a very good enhencement
for tools like ECB which want to display a VC-state also for file
not already visited... Thanks, Andre!
May i ask another problem/question related to `vc-state'? Please see
the following very simple and fast testable scenario:
1. load a file (lets say the filename is XXX.txt) into Emacs, which is
under control of CVS
2. do some editing changes and save it - do not kill the buffer
3. M-: (vc-state "XXX.txt") RET ==> return 'edited for me
4. No checkin this file but not from within Emacs, so e.g. via bash command line
5. M-: (vc-state "XXX.txt") RET ==> returns again 'edited
(but currently 'up-to-date would be correct)
6. Call M-x revert-buffer
7. Again M-: (vc-state "XXX.txt") RET ==> Now vc-state returns the correct
So, which mysterious things are done by revert-buffer so *after* it vc-state returns
correct 'up-to-date state but wrong 'edited state if called *before* the
- AW: behavior of vc-recompute-state in combination withvc-cvs-stay-local is t,