Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:32:23 +0100

>     For another you make all parts of the glyph the same, instead of just
>     the escape, such that they become hard to tell apart.
> Yes, I think it makes more sense that way.  In \208, all four of the
> characters are part of a single escape sequence.  I think it is better
> to highlight them all the same way.

I think this looks better too -- but the current escape-glyph face doesn't
stand out very much -- what about "red" foreground instead?

> However, if lots of people prefer to highlight just the first
> char, I won't insist.

There seems to be a problem with ^X and \nnn if you have setup a
display table to show the ^ or \ -- in that case, the X and nnn is
still shown in the escape-glyph face (rather than the face from the
display property).

I will fix that.

>     And you forgot sticky space and soft hyphen, which now again look
>     identical to their non-special counterparts.
> I don't know what you're talking about, here.  This feature was
> supposed to be for escape sequences, characters not actually in the
> text.

Indeed -- if someone whats to highlight anything else, they should
use a display vector.

>      As for ellipses, there
>     should at least be a simple option.
> I agree with the person who didn't want them highlighted.

Actually, I liked the highlight for ellipses.   And to continue your
argument, the ellises are "characters not actually in the text" too.

>     Alas they no
>     longer combine with other faces, such as selection, which is a giant
>     step backwards.
> I do not understand.  What do you mean?

The escape-glyph face is not merged with the underlaying base face of
the character, so eg. region highlight (background color) or other
face properties are not shown on the escape glyphs.