Re: Using gpm in emacs

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Using gpm in emacs
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:46:23 +1300

 > >> ;;; gpm.el --- Support the mouse when emacs run on a Linux console.
 > >>
 > >> ;; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation
 > >>
 > >> ;; Author: William Perry <address@hidden>

What is your point exactly?

This appears to be part of XEmacs. William Perry is not the author of gpm. I
don't know how to get the mouse to work at all with XEmacs, either in an xterm
or a text-only terminal. Loading gpm doesn't seem to do it.

Alessandro Rubini has also written a mode called t-mouse.el. This works with
Emacs but provides incomplete support in 21.3.50 for a mouse in a text-only
terminal.  My idea is to address those shortcomings.

 > > What about:
 > >
 > > ;;; xt-mouse.el --- support the mouse when emacs run in an xterm
 > >
 > > ;; Author: Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden>

 > > ;;; Commentary:
 > >
 > > ;; Enable mouse support when running inside an xterm or Linux console.
 >
 > > Does this mean gpm.el is not really needed?

I don't think this mode works on a text-only terminal. This file also says:

;; The xterm mouse escape codes are supposedly also supported by the
;; Linux console, but I have not been able to verify this.

I can't see how this can work outside the context of X.

Nick