Re: inforef

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: inforef
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:14:01 -0600 (CST)

Karl Berry wrote:

   > Consider a beginning user reading the published version of the Emacs
   > manual and seeing a reference to the "Emacs MIME Manual".  How is that
   > user to know that this refers to a .texi file to be found and printed
   > off by the user himself?  There is not the slightest indication of
   > that.

   If that's a significant problem you could, for instance, explain it in
   the introduction, make a texinfo.tex option for setting an alternative
   Info reference as a footnote/endnote.  I'd guess that would only be
   relevant when actually producing copy for publication.

I believe that it would at the very least be relevant when producing
copy for publication of the Emacs manual and maybe some other GNU
manuals.  Obviously, it would not be necessary for the Texinfo manual,
since that one explains the stuff anyway.

Sincerely,

Luc.