Changelogs entries [Re: Strange text scrolling with Emacs + GTK]

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Changelogs entries [Re: Strange text scrolling with Emacs + GTK]
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:19:04 +0100

Quoting "Jan D." <address@hidden>:

> >> I  use currently  a  2004-11-12  checkout compiled  with  gtk
> >> toolkit.  I'll
> >> checkout a fresh one tonight to see it is still there.
> >

> > I'll recheck the other toolkits.
>

> I can not reproduce the bug with any Emacs build from a current CVS
> checkout.

If so, it must have been silently fixed recently.

The problem with the way changelogs entries are written is that they
never mention the bug they fix; comments like "New variable", "new
function", "use it" and so on are just not enough for anyone to
understand the fix.
I think this is quite annoying from an external sight since people
have to guess with respect to their knowledge of Emacs source files.
(especially when you have to backport fixes).

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant