Re: `gud-common-init'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `gud-common-init'
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:02:25 -0500

>> --option "enquoted argument with spaces"
[...]
> Can you give real example of where this would be needed other than a file
> which has spaces in its name. I think that we previously decided not to
> encourage this practice.

While it´s generally not encouraged I think it´d be good not to mess up when
the needs comes up.  In PCL-CVS I wrote cvs-string->strings (and
a corresponding cvs-strings->string) to handle that.

It´s similar to split-string except that it understands the "..." notation
of Elisp (with escapes and all: it just uses `read´ to handle it).  I think
something like that should be added to subr.el since it comes in handy for
any application that needs to prompt for a command and then needs to
decompose it.

        Stefan