Re: undo in loaddefs.el buffer

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: undo in loaddefs.el buffer
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:31:13 -0600 (CST)

Jan D. wrote:

   The behaviour to pop down on key press is present in CVS and 21.3.  But
   this should only happen if the focus is on the frame and not the
   dialog.  It also only happens for Lucid and Lesstif/Motif dialogs.  The
   reason for this being in CVS is because it is in 21.3 :-).  Personally I
   think it is a strange behaviour.

I think it is strange too.

   This way of popping down the dialog has been replaced by popping down by
   pressing ESC, which is more in line with what other applications and
   toolkits use.

"Popping down" means returning nil, which for y-or-n-p and yes-or-no-p
means answering "No".  Anybody who uses the escape key as a Meta key
can easily answer "No" without wanting to do that.  This is especially
bad for yes-or-no-p which, according to the Elisp manual is meant for
"crucial decisions".  Intuitively, one would expect "popping down" to
mean quitting, not answering "No".  This peculiar behavior is not
documented in the docstrings of y-or-n-p and yes-or-no-p.  I could not
find any reference to it in the Elisp manual.

Apparently, some users expect C-g to _really_ quit from a dialog box,
like it quits in the minibuffer.  Instead, it is treated like any
other key.

Sincerely,

Luc.